Skip to main content

UNLIKE FACES, WITH STORIES ALIKE



It’s the summer of 2007, mid of June, mid day and the sun shining with all its might and bright in the middle of sky making it impossible for people to even catch a glimpse of it . A typical day in the summer of Delhi. Monsoon hasn’t arrived and the Delhi ites are expecting it anytime soon.
All I know was that Delhi and heat mean the same and it sure did. I landed in New Delhi at around 5 PM in the evening. But as I was informed, it was surely the hottest day of my life, unforgettable indeed! From the time I started walking out of the airport, hugging my sisters (well, one of the two has arrived just a couple of days ago) until the car and getting in, I realize that I am drenched in sweat! Yes, welcome to India. My first time in New Delhi.
Having Indian parents, you always have this vague idea of what our country is like, though you never have been here but you are quite aware of the way people would be.
It is exactly the way Papa had told me about Delhi. The car moves, windows go down (Yes! Air Conditioner of the car has given up just a day before), no I can’t pull it down, the driver helped me putting it forcefully with his rough hands saying ‘This is jammed sir, would be fine soon, don’t worry’ (How does it matter, I wouldn’t travel again with you my friend is all what I said to myself) and I am relieved a little as the car moves. The breeze, hot though crosses my face and dries the sweat which seemed to be there since ages.
…and suddenly the car slows down, huh? Well, nothing, the ‘usual’ jammed roads and the beggars around. I try to make sure I pull up my window before these kids in tattered clothes cross the other cars and reach our’s and ‘touch’ me. But alas! I can’t, well obviously! The ‘window’!
I reach the house, feeling all yucky, messy, sweaty and what not! Humid it is…with no sign of rain! ‘Weird weather, weird city’ I say to myself. My sister helps me unpack and guides me to the washroom, obviously, it is understood, the first thing I need when am home. I take a shower and relax. Away from home, but hey, at home.
I don’t really feel hungry but my sister asks me to come over for dinner with her…somewhere ‘nearby’…Community Center, that’s what they call it…I think people here have this liking for walking, my sister has become one of them. She told me it is just right the corner, but am walking since 10 minutes, new place, new environment and obviously, the same old sister whom I met after 6 months. Well, to many, 6 months might not be a long time. But people who share ‘the bond’ with their siblings would understand this. I write ‘the bond’ because I don’t think there can be a word which would describe the kind of relation you have with your siblings. The serious talks, the jokes, the eye gestures, the unspoken words, the humor, the thinking, the suggestion you want and so on. I come back and we start chatting and laughing about every possible thing. The night passes (probably talking and talking and talking). The sun rises and an ‘irritating’ morning. I don’t know when and how did this lady(maid) come in my room with a broom! Khik khik khik…the very voice of her broom doesn’t let me be on the bed for long. Soon I am awake, with eyes wide open. But hey, I have to get up, it is 8 am.
Soon I realize that my sister is in the kitchen, making tea and breakfast and ready already. Probably this is the time when I realize that my eldest sister is no less than mumma.
Bareera Apa asks the 2 of us  (me and Maria Apa) to get ready as soon as we can, hands us the keys of the house and says ‘Go to Jamia and fill the form by 11’.
Apa is working with this Architectural firm and left us all by our selves to go out there and explore.
Yes, I would say explore as I have no idea as to how this place, the things, the people work, at all.
But we move on. Me and my sister, all set to leave by 10 itself. Walk down the apartment and there we are on the street.
Apa had told us to take a cycle rickshaw to the University located 10 minutes away.
All we knew was that they charge 15 rupees for two (well, this was the first thing I had asked Apa. I mean I had to, obviously, had heard a lot about people coming to this city for the first time and being cheated on by these rickshaw pullers, auto drivers and so on).
I turn to one of the rickshaws, ask him to take us to Jamia but he refuses. I turn to another (well, all look the same with the cloth over their heads and the similar pattern of the lungis) and he agrees. Me and my sister are on our first ‘rickshaw ride’. The man pulls it on. His hands are so rigid and stiff as he holds the handle of the cycle as though he can bring down 10 men at a time, it can surely be compared to a piece of iron. His legs are moving like that of a machine, to and fro. His calves are such that he would have always wanted it. The cuts so perfect. The sweat all over his body has dried leaving behind the white patches. The rickshaw soon slows down. Well the road isn’t plain, it has ‘the curves’ one might have never ever imagined of staying miles away from the country. Yes, I am talking of the roads, the main roads, forget the lanes. The rickshaw going down and the man pulling it up and back on the track with all his strength. All I know is that my feet are right in front, erect under the guys seat making sure I don’t fall off and I hold the side of the rickshaw so hard that I get down, my palm would surely have a print of the blue color of the rod.
We reach our destination. I get down, take out a 20 rupee note and hand him over. To my amazement, he keeps it all. Didn’t bother returning me the ‘5 rupees’.
I ask him, he says its 20 rupees for the distance. Well, there cannot be a worse situation when you have your first ride and are cheated upon by the rickshaw puller.
Me and my sister ask him politely for the second time and again, he says ‘No’. He is stern on 20.
I really don’t know what to say, we just move on.
While I just take a couple of steps, I turn to my sister and she is already looking at me, we both have this unspoken conversation of whether we have given him ‘more’ or that it is ‘too less’ of the hard work he did. Literally pulling 2 people in this scorching heat is one task which I can surely never do. Never! I don’t seem to forget that.
7 years on and here I am now, taking a rickshaw ride. But everytime I go for it, that very first memory does pass by. It was the first time ever in my life that I had seen a man pulling 2 (sometimes even 3) people at a time. We sit there so stiff with our asses stuck to the seat as if we were to never get down.
We don’t really bother on the effort these men put in to pull it. We just don’t ever. Forget empathizing! That’s something we are alien to when it comes to these people.
Sometimes I wonder on the way our system works. Like we have these auto mated rickshaws charging triple the amount of the rickshaw puller, where in reality it should be the vice versa.
I hope we get rid of this ‘man pulling man’ thing in the near future. Only then would we be proudly calling ourselves ‘free’!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things to not miss when in Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia is considered as one of the most conservative nations across the globe. With its modernization and opening of tourism sector, below are some of the things you can do here. I have jotted down the top 10 things you cannot dare to miss during  your visit to the kingdom of Saudi Arabia. 1)       Shawarma Let us roll with the first one, literally! Shawarma it is. One cannot simply come to the kingdom of Saudi Arabia and not have a Shawarma. Though not originally discovered in Saudi Arabia and not the native dish of Saudis, it has been topping the food chart since ages; without a doubt. Reason why I have placed it on number one in the ‘to do list’ is simply because of its availability at every corner of the city and that not even a single person would not like it. Like absolutely no one!  Shawarma wrap Shavings cut from a block of meat on a rotating split, it was originally invented in Turkey during the times of Ottoman Empire. Saudi Arabia adopted it a

Javed's Nihari

Karim’s…Mughlai Cuisine…Moti Mahal…no doubt are one of those finest places to dine in for dinner, but as I traveled today in the downtown of Jamia Milia, I came across this area packed with food and people. Yes, the lanes of Zakirnagar in Batla House are one of the most crowded places in South Delhi and this brings me closer to ‘Javed Bhai ki Nihari’. What young and old, people of all ages crave this. Javed ki Nihari as the name says was started by Javed Bhai. He has this small place for ‘take away’. Dining in is one of the most difficult tasks on Saturdays and Sundays and finding a place is like an achievement in itself. I could see many young guys chit chatting here. The place is is a small area where Javed Bhai has his handi and a big tandoori roti opening. One side you have this big handi in which the nihari is filled in and the other side is the roti area. People, when coming to this place make sure have atleast an hour to spare even when thinking to have a take away. Th

It’s all about BEEF!

Following the recent ban on the consumption of Beef in some of the states of India like Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh and Kashmir, one might believe that the RSS led BJP government has taken the above step in order to respect the belief of Hindu majority as cow is considered the sacred animal but little do we know that top exporters of beef in India are owned and controlled by none other than my majority Hindu brethren and not the minority Muslim community. The general ideology behind beef consumption is that Muslim and Christian communities are the largest consumers of beef in India, which might actually be true also, however it is also true that the main slaughter houses across the country are owned by the Hindus . Al Kabir, owned by Mr. Satish and Atul Sabharwal with its office located in Mumbai is one of the leading exporters of beef in India Mr. Sunil Kumar, owner of Arabian exports is also in the top list of beef exports. M.K.R Frozen Food located in Delhi and PM