Skip to main content

'Papa...my guide to life and the here after.'

I was barely 4 years old in 1993 when a blue jeans and a white shirt drenched in blood came home. Papa, widely known as Er. Iqbal Ahmad among his colleagues, friends and acquaintances, had met an accident, a horrible one. It took him more than six months to get up from bed and walk. He used support but never lost hope. I was too young to understand things back then. He survived! He lived…he moved on.

Papa and me, November 2013, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

More of a second life it was. Since then, I have never seen him giving up. I remember my first day at school. I was writing my entrance exam and all the while, Papa was waiting there itself, out in the corridor. I didn’t realize his presence then.

Time passed.. I grew up, finished my education. He still taught me, taught me a lot, a lot.. through his words and actions. He taught me from his past experiences. He taught me from his every day events. He lived the cleanest life anyone could have. I realize all this after he is gone. Papa, was the most beautiful human being I knew of. No, not saying this as a son.. but as an individual who lived with him.

Papa and me, May 2016, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

I still remember one of his many teachings.. and that was to live a clean life. A life that when you die, you die in peace, without any worries, without any materialistic desires. He practiced what he preached and his death was an example for me. One of his other points I would never forget is that he once told me ‘Have a character such that even your enemy comes up to you when he needs the best of advice’. He never thought wrong or bad of anyone. He just couldn’t. He wasn’t made for this world I feel. He would go out of the way to help people. Even when he was suffering ‘a minor stroke’, he had gone out in the rain to help this man who was in need and whom Papa had barely known. (I said suffering because he was in pain at the time and it was later on after the checkup that we came to know what it was).

Moreover, he was the most upfront and blunt human being. He could never lie or fake things. Not even to us, his kids. One of the many reasons why he couldn’t do business ever in his life. Be it in 1983, 1986, 1996, 1998, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2011, or the latest being in 2015. After all, being blunt and too clear in financial dealings never help you in this world. He tried his luck best in various businesses, but failed, as he couldn’t compromise on his ethics, morals and values. He was the most successful failure I know of. This is the best thing I learned from him, never ever compromise on your morals, be it whatsoever. And work as hard as you can, giving your best and then rely on Allah, the Supreme Lord to handle your things. If He wills, it would happen. If He doesn’t, well and good.

He was the most clean and crystal clear human being of my life. I don’t think I would ever meet a man so clear, so transparent in dealings.

He cared much more than he showed. He was a different kind of a father.. someone who just didn’t want to lose his children (the only worldly thing he was attached to). Someone who would literally feed his each and every child with his own hands. Someone who wouldn't ask us to eat every time he ate but rather scold us and feed us then and there. Treating my eldest sister the same as he treated her daughter. Both, according to him were babies. I could see the love and joy in his eyes every time I landed at the airport. He would come hours before the flight and wait for us. He was indeed, the most loving father anyone could have. 

 Last year, I had an operation.. a serious one. He couldn’t make it with me to the hospital in Mumbai due to some reasons back in Riyadh. My sister, here with him all the time in Riyadh told me later on that he was very patient all the while miles away and had been praying continuously for me. As soon as the doctor had declared me fine and the operation a success, he had burst into tears. This broke me inside out. I had never realized how much he loved me, he cared for me or was bothered about my well being. Being the elder one, I could never express my love for him during his life like my younger siblings, but that didn’t mean I loved him any less. I still do and always will.

He loved talking and discussing about politics and Islam. Another reason why I loved poking him on these issues. He would go on and on and on talking on these topics and I loved learning this way from him. His ideas, thoughts and views on Islam and the world were so comprehensible. He was no less than a teacher, professor, scholar, guide and what not to me and would always be. I am short of words. I can never express completely what I feel. All I can say is…what I am today and what my views are, are all a part of his teachings. Probably just a percentage of what I could take during his lifetime. So less time and so much to learn. But then, we plan and Allah plans and He is the best of planners. Papa’s test period is over. His result has been decided, his account of deeds closed. He is no more but he has left behind him amazing number of friends whom I consider everything now. To name a few, Husain uncle and Hafiz uncle, these men are the ‘oceans of knowledge’ as Papa used to say and I know, when I need to learn anything, I would turn to them, without a doubt, without a thought. Thank you both for being there when I needed you the most. May Allah shower his choicest blessings on both of you.

I was proud of him as my father and I hope, he is proud of me as his son. I hope I do all that he desired and all that he wanted me to.

Papa, I assure you to never let you down and be upright like you in all my dealings. InshaAllah.


I pray that you welcome me, my siblings and all of your dear ones in Jannah with open arms.

Comments

  1. Beautifully written. Well done Yasa

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best tribute I have ever read, continue writing and best wishes for your future endeavours,

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the best tribute I have ever read, continue writing and best wishes for your future endeavours,

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the best tribute I have ever read, continue writing and best wishes for your future endeavours,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, goosebumps. Your papa certainly commanded respect even from far. May Allah give him high positions in the hereafter. Pray that we all muslims can be as steadfastt as to lose this world but gain the hereafter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post made tears fall, jazakallah khair for the awesome write up, we knew him since we were kidz and still remember terrible accident, as parents used to visit him. Allah bless him with jannah and raise his darjaaat. Ameen - hamzah Mauzam ali

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well written with so much emotions in it...love is nt what u say bt what u do for your parents.stay blessed and nothing could be better than this beautiful piece drafted by you

    ReplyDelete
  8. May allah forgive him and bless him with jannah ameen summa ameen ya rab al alameen

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an absolutely beautifully articulated post, Yasa. I have somehow never had the fortune to hear a son talk with this much amount of respect, understanding and abundance of love. I can relate to you and your father to a profound extent. I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing his optimistically selfless attitude towards all. I feel truly inspired after a long time. May Allah bless you and your family with enough strength to pick back and carry on, the way our father would've done, had he been in your place, Yasa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aditi, thank you so much. Your comment means a lot (after all, its coming from an amazing writer herself. I am obliged. Yes, he was the most beautiful father anyone could have. Moreover, he was an amazing individual too. Amen to all that you said. InshaAllah, I will try my best to do all that he desired and wished and wanted me to. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 things to not miss when in Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia is considered as one of the most conservative nations across the globe. With its modernization and opening of tourism sector, below are some of the things you can do here. I have jotted down the top 10 things you cannot dare to miss during  your visit to the kingdom of Saudi Arabia. 1)       Shawarma Let us roll with the first one, literally! Shawarma it is. One cannot simply come to the kingdom of Saudi Arabia and not have a Shawarma. Though not originally discovered in Saudi Arabia and not the native dish of Saudis, it has been topping the food chart since ages; without a doubt. Reason why I have placed it on number one in the ‘to do list’ is simply because of its availability at every corner of the city and that not even a single person would not like it. Like absolutely no one!  Shawarma wrap Shavings cut from a block of meat on a rotating split, it was originally invented in Turkey during the times of Ottoman Empire. Saudi Arabia adopted it a

Javed's Nihari

Karim’s…Mughlai Cuisine…Moti Mahal…no doubt are one of those finest places to dine in for dinner, but as I traveled today in the downtown of Jamia Milia, I came across this area packed with food and people. Yes, the lanes of Zakirnagar in Batla House are one of the most crowded places in South Delhi and this brings me closer to ‘Javed Bhai ki Nihari’. What young and old, people of all ages crave this. Javed ki Nihari as the name says was started by Javed Bhai. He has this small place for ‘take away’. Dining in is one of the most difficult tasks on Saturdays and Sundays and finding a place is like an achievement in itself. I could see many young guys chit chatting here. The place is is a small area where Javed Bhai has his handi and a big tandoori roti opening. One side you have this big handi in which the nihari is filled in and the other side is the roti area. People, when coming to this place make sure have atleast an hour to spare even when thinking to have a take away. Th

It’s all about BEEF!

Following the recent ban on the consumption of Beef in some of the states of India like Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh and Kashmir, one might believe that the RSS led BJP government has taken the above step in order to respect the belief of Hindu majority as cow is considered the sacred animal but little do we know that top exporters of beef in India are owned and controlled by none other than my majority Hindu brethren and not the minority Muslim community. The general ideology behind beef consumption is that Muslim and Christian communities are the largest consumers of beef in India, which might actually be true also, however it is also true that the main slaughter houses across the country are owned by the Hindus . Al Kabir, owned by Mr. Satish and Atul Sabharwal with its office located in Mumbai is one of the leading exporters of beef in India Mr. Sunil Kumar, owner of Arabian exports is also in the top list of beef exports. M.K.R Frozen Food located in Delhi and PM